Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How To Start Modding!!

Really no point in removing them unless you don't want the drops. Easier to just set their health to a very low value, maybe 5 to make them one shot kills and still get the hide/skin and meat and such.
    I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole......

One "trick" I use when modding that has saved me much anguish.

Create a Shortcut to your Game Data folder on your desk top. This way you can reach it easily when you need to.
    Second create a new folder on your desk top and name it something so you remember what it is , I named mine "CL Originals"
    Next copy all of the JSON files from the game data folder over to the new folder you created. NEVER alter the files in this folder, the only thing you will ever do is copy them.

Now that will protect you in the event you totally bork one of the files that you are editing. If you break a file simply copy one from your originals folder and replace the file.

Additionally you can also use this method to save game "profiles"

For example if you want to play in god mode you can edit your weapon and armor stats and boost your health to insanity. However you might not want to play that way all the time so in this case you can create another folder titled "CL God" and save those files in there. This way you can switch back and forth from game modes simply by replacing your edited files back and forth. My recommendation is if you are going to do this replace files as a whole set instead of just one or two, this will ensure you get a fresh load of the game every time.

One final warning about modding. Some changes will not cause problems like boosting your heath to 10,000. However be careful with things that effect the environment such as Oakwood drops. If you put the number too high you will slow down your game as it tries to handle the burst of resources on to the map. This is especially true if you are skirting the edges of being able to run the game in the first place, but even a top flight machine is going to have problems if you expand the load too much.

Just my thoughts, dismiss them as you will.

I'd suggest not using Notepad++, but instead using Atom which can be downloaded from here. It has a fairly good syntax checker for JSON, and that is worth it's weight in gold. Basically, if you screw up your JSON files, CardLife might parse it in 'interesting' and undefined ways - it's pretty hard to debug such errors.

The best way to edit JSONs is to use the Mods folder that we have added.

You can add any edited JSON to that folder and then select the mods you want to use in the menu on the Host Single Player or Host Multiplayer Screen.

You can also add several JSONs to a folder and then treat that as a single mod if you like.

You can then safely join any official server without messing up anything.

Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by CityBuilder View Post
    So by editing the creatures.json file I could eliminate creatures like the dinosaur, imps, spiders etc?

Would I simply comment them out or remove them and if there is any reference to anything else for the creatures that I remove in other files (like in the creaturesdrop.json file) will it cause issues?

I'm not 100% sure this will work accurately, in theory, I don't see an issue with it.
    There's really no 'comments' in a json file, you would just need to delete it from the file.
    As far as creaturesdrop.json, there shouldn't be a reason to change it, the 'drops' won't be associated to anything and ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhang View Post
    I'd suggest not using Notepad++, but instead using Atom which can be downloaded from here. It has a fairly good syntax checker for JSON, and that is worth it's weight in gold. Basically, if you screw up your JSON files, CardLife might parse it in 'interesting' and undefined ways - it's pretty hard to debug such errors.
    Atom looks interesting, but at 130mb, I like my notepad++ (personal pref)
    However with having said that, i agree with you that Atom might be a better choice here for anyone looking at editting the files.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The best way to edit JSONs is to use the Mods folder that we have added.

You can add any edited JSON to that folder and then select the mods you want to use in the menu on the Host Single Player or Host Multiplayer Screen.
    You can also add several JSONs to a folder and then treat that as a single mod if you like.
    You can then safely join any official server without messing up anything.
    Check it out.
    I'll play with it, do the elements in the files in /mods overwrite the original elements from the original files when there's a conflict? (does that make sense? if not, no worries. if it does, you might to see a doctor about understanding marcus-speak)

The json files in the mods folder will be used if you load a server with those mods/files selected.

The originals are only used in the official servers and if there isn't a copy in the mods folder - so there should be no conflicts.

I'm looking forward to having support for servers sending mod files across, so that we don't have to pre-seed clients with mods.
    Yes, I know that versioning/hashing of mod files is going to be necessary, and that we don't want to see things descend into a Conan or Minecraft level of mod messiness. I also get that this isn't yet the highest priority on your million item long list of things...