Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Convenient info in one spot

Unless you're cutting Spruce Trees, which grow on top of mountains. They only take 3 chops. As soon as you get age 2 chopping machines, oak only takes 3 hits also though.

so much good info, thanks everyone

Another tip that may make your life easier. If you are mining and have trouble finding your way out. You can customize some standing torches with a spike on one side of the shaft. This will produce two spikes at a corner (because there are two planes). Just place these torches on a level bit of ground using the right mouse button to rotate it so that the two spikes together point toward the way out of the cave (or village, maze, house, etc.).

You could probably do similar things with other torches.

I have done some work in making a lot of circular shapes and thought about posting a diagram of the ones I've found.

Circle Shapes.jpg

There is a small hexagon. Then a larger dodecagon (12 sides). An even larger dodecagon that is not regular. A really large dodecagon that is regular. And an extremely large 24 sided shape that is just barely not regular, but it can't really be identified that it isn't regular, plus, it is extremely rounded.

P.S. I haven't actually built the largest 24 sided shape. But all the math says it would work. The angles are all 165 degrees which is the same as a regular 24 sided shape so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Plus, it seems to work Inkscape.

Also, the 24 sided shape is the only one to use corner structures. Be careful to identify the 45-45-90 triangles (corners) from the equilateral triangles.

Side Note:
    You may notice that all the larger shapes have a copy of the next smallest inside them. This means you can build them by starting with a hexagon, and working your way up placing the right shapes around it until you have the size you want.
    Last edited by Ro-Bert; 08-14-2018 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Side Note

Have you worked out which of these shapes will work with the sloping elements we have right now?

I have not messed around with sloping elements at all. You can try them with the sloping elements, but I don't know if they will work.

Second thought:
    If these three conditions are true, then they should work.

1. Their ground shape is the same as their corresponding shape. Meaning their face (which is tilted) is slightly stretched but when viewed from above, all is the same shape as their unsloped shape.
    2. Their heights raised all are equal. One end must be the same height taller than the other end on all pieces. This is at least crucial for the same ringed layer. If you go from one size to the smaller sizes in the middle, you may be able to change the angle without problems.
    3. Snapping must allow you to put these pieces upside down.

As said, I have not messed around with sloped elements so I have no idea if these are true. But if one of them is not true, I do not think this will work. If all of them are true, I have no reason to believe they will not work. I'll try it out sometime with a testing world that has my building mod.
    Last edited by Ro-Bert; 08-14-2018 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Second thought

I did some building. The circle shapes on the floor work just fine. The sloped cones have some weirdness to them though. They work, but they don't work as nicely as I expected.

Cone1.jpgCone2.jpgCone3.jpg

On the outside, you can see that the pieces slope differently, creating a wavy surface. Something else is how shapes that are different but on the same layer (corners and triangles) don't snap together with the slopes. This is because they are tilted from each other. Like shapes snap to like shapes on their sides. But each layer snaps together with the previous regardless of the shapes. You can also get an idea of the size of this shape. It is huge. However, you can make it bigger.

By making every corner twice as big (pair four corner pieces together to get a scaled up version. And doing the same for the triangles and the squares. You can get a similar shape that is just scaled twice as big if you want. There is no way, however, to get a relatively regular shape with more sides.

And again, because the larger shapes have a smaller shape inside of them, the cone will work with any of the smaller shapes because I did it with the biggest.
    Last edited by Ro-Bert; 08-14-2018 at 04:47 PM. Reason: About the smaller cones

The system needs a little work, as I'm sure the devs know. It's pretty cool that this even partially works with the state of things.

Thank you for these!

Quote Originally Posted by Ro-Bert View Post
    Another tip that may make your life easier. If you are mining and have trouble finding your way out. You can customize some standing torches with a spike on one side of the shaft. This will produce two spikes at a corner (because there are two planes). Just place these torches on a level bit of ground using the right mouse button to rotate it so that the two spikes together point toward the way out of the cave (or village, maze, house, etc.).

You could probably do similar things with other torches.
    Better yet, always place torches on the right wall of the cave as you go deeper in. Try and keep torches within view of each other too. This way, when you want to go back out just follow the torches on the left. They will automatically guide you out each time, and it becomes really hard to get turned around too.