Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Vision And Development For CardLife

The Vision And Development For CardLife

Good day Founders and Vanguardians!

we’ve seen some incredible feedback from players which are helping us to refine, build upon and create an incredible game and flexible user generated platform. We’re launching the first phase of our new ‘Creator tools’ in today's update and we are looking forward to visiting your houses and soon to be dungeons!

We wanted to talk about our plans for the future of Cardlife. You are joining us on this remarkable journey and we need your feedback, thoughts and suggestions to make sure that we are creating a game which many of you will enjoy.

Our development strategy
    We like to be pretty open and engaged with our community, every few days we report back the positive comments that the community share with us in terms of what features they are excited to see and any ideas that they may have.

We also think very hard about the negative comments from players and how we can improve their experience without affecting our core player base and compromising our vision for the future of CardLife.

And then, we watch what players are doing with our game. Truly remarkable things that we had not anticipated. The most unique way that players are interacting with our game is creating mazes and traps, so we’re responding to that and now working towards giving players the creative tools to develop their own dungeons or adventures that other players can engage with.

Responding to feedback, comments and how players are reacting to your game is our core focus and is the very reason we released Cardlife onto Early Access. Thank you to everyone who has interacted with us to tell us what you think of our game, we are definitely learning and improving every single day!

But What Is Our Overall Vision For CardLife
    This is a very exciting question! And it is one that many of our founders may be fully aware of. But we feel that there are a lot of players who have joined us in the last month that might not completely understand our vision for the future of CardLife. So let’s talk about it!

“CardLife is a powerful User Generated Content platform”

CardLife is not just a survival game, it will become more than that and it will do so, with help from creators, modders and our players. We want to give players the flexibility to create and share their adventures, designs and creations with others. Eventually players will be able to create new game modes, worlds and gameplay features that will even seperate it entirely from the survival genre. Perhaps a player will want to make a horror game, a racing game or even a game which requires you to run your own shop. The cardboard aesthetic allows us to mix genres and in essence also mix gameplay, we can’t wait until our true vision is fully realised.

Why is CardLife a survival game?
    In order to show off our game as a unique creative platform we needed an anchor point which core players can experience. We knew that we wanted the game to be be set across a large map, include online multiplayer and combine building and combat. The survival genre sounded like a good entry point to provide us with the core game mechanics. Our Cardboard aesthetic allows us to blend more genres than any other game and we are able to include the following types of content seamlessly without compromising our creative vision:

- Science Fiction
    - Fantasy
    - Magic
    - Guns
    - Creature Mounts
    - Vehicles including helicopters and Mechs

We feel that there is limitless potential for CardLife to grow and evolve.

Phases of Creative Tools
    But we need to build towards it. Our first phase to provide players with creative freedom is our Connect The Dots crafting system. Players can draw anything they want, editing the very shape of any weapon, tool or character.

We then gave players the ability to edit the Json files to refine their gameplay experience, one user created a mod which made your hands a powerful weapon with the ability to mine any resources and uppercut a Raptor with great force! The editing of Json files is just the start of our journey to provide a modifiable platform. If technical issues don’t hinder us, we plan to allow all data and code to be modified to provide incredible power to those who want to mod CardLife.

The start of our very next phase is included in today’s update, ‘Creator Tools’… These community tools will not be as powerful as editing the game files and code directly, but will allow players with no coding knowledge to create gameplay within the game itself! These tools can be used on official servers too and is an experiment to see what players create and the functionality of this system.

The ‘Creator Tools’ starts with the door, when placed will reveal the location of that door on the player map. This very action invites players to explore the landscape and see what others have created.

Over time we will be adding more functionality to ‘Creator tools’ by letting players place enemy spawners and lootable chests. This will lead to some amazing community created dungeons! We will then make earning these creator tools much more meaningful, players will need to create engaging content and will be able to vote on each others structures. Create awesome structures that are upvoted and you’ll be able to spend those on new craftable objects which open up even more gameplay mechanics.

Ultimately, while players can currently edit the Json files to refine core gameplay mechanics, our vision is to allow full creative freedom within the game itself so modding can be easily accessible to everyone.

Of course, nothing is set in stone. We learn and evolve by watching to make the best decisions we can. Let us know what you think about our plans and if you have any specific creator tools which you’d love to see in game you should let us know.

We hope that this explains some of the finer details of our development plans and exactly where we want to take CardLife for the future. If you have any questions, do respond back to this thread!

Thank you everyone for joining us on this journey

Hi Chris,
    Great post!
    It's really interesting to hear what you planned for the further development of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_C View Post
    Phases of Creative Tools
    [...]
    The editing of Json files is just the start of our journey to provide a modifiable platform. If technical issues don’t hinder us, we plan to allow all data and code to be modified to provide incredible power to those who want to mod CardLife.
    [...]
    The start of our very next phase is included in today’s update, ‘Creator Tools’… These community tools will not be as powerful as editing the game files and code directly, but will allow players with no coding knowledge to create gameplay within the game itself! These tools can be used on official servers too and is an experiment to see what players create and the functionality of this system.
    [...]
    Over time we will be adding more functionality to ‘Creator tools’ by letting players place enemy spawners and lootable chests. This will lead to some amazing community created dungeons! We will then make earning these creator tools much more meaningful, players will need to create engaging content and will be able to vote on each others structures. Create awesome structures that are upvoted and you’ll be able to spend those on new craftable objects which open up even more gameplay mechanics.
    You want to expand the creative tools in two directions, Modding and Building?
    I think that's a great idea.
    While modding has more functionality and is more advanced, building is easier in the sense that it doesn't require any coding.Since I already talked about my vision/wishes on modding in another thread, I'm going to concentrate on the building aspect of creative tools.

The new building features you already mentioned are really nice!
    But how are you going to integrate it into the survival gameplay on the Official Servers?
    You already mentioned that votes on existing builds will be useful for creating new items and structures.
    I suggest adding another stat, "Creative Points", that are recieved from votes on your builds and can also be gained by completing certain quests or challenges.
    These points would serve as a currency for creative items like mob spawners etc.
    Creative items would cost resources and points, with the point cost becoming bigger the more advanced the item gets (doors should be very cheap or free, mob spawners more expensive an so on).

I'm looking forward to try out the new Update and hear your response.

Cheers,
    LordKekz

I like where the game is going.
    What I'd like clarification on is this: Grief Prevention.

For me the important thing is the ability to build with others (and meet new people) while at the same time having my efforts be permanent and not destroyed by the occasional griefer. I know this is an early access game and that wipes will come but at some point I want to know that wipes will not happen anymore and I'd prefer this to be the state on the official servers. Failing that, I'd like the ability to rent a server and password protect it as a place for friends to play - but I'd prefer to remain on the official servers.

I'd also like the ability to 'buy' a subscription and play on servers that cater to that crowd.

I talking to the people who play on my server I was surprised how many people where >50 years old - so there is a player base here that might be willing to pay $9.99 per month to have an official sub only server that offers some additional benefits like 1/2 decay rate (wood 14 days, stone 22, etc), expulsion of griefers and so forth. The $9.99 gate fee there helps keep out FTP accounts that are often used by people who want to destroy things.

@LordKekz

Glad you enjoyed reading this! I was concerned it might have been a bit of a long read, and while it does a good job at displaying an overview of the plans, it does not get into the very specific areas. So will try to reply to some of your comments!

Modding + Building
    Ok, so this is really interesting to talk about, we feel that Modders want to create mods so that the players can enjoy their creations. In order to do this we need to increase our player base. I know that you'd love to have more creative tools, but what we want to do is give YOU a bigger audience to show off your hard work ... The Building system in game, giving players creative power IN GAME is a really good way to bring casual players and those who want to experiment with the tools (and hopefully expand into hardcore modding) a good starting point. Modding is awesome, and we want to see gameplay mechanics that are completely unique. I saw a mod for hello Neighbour recently which was essentially an odd decoration game, turning a sort of stealth thriller into a house design game is pretty awesome

Implementing building into survival
    Ok, so I was a little vague on this, our first test is actually to see how many players visit these creator doors, we are able to track how many people visit a door. Because if players choose to ignore these structures and want to do their own thing, we need to have a think about whether this is something players truly want! So we're doing our first phase of testing on this.

Regarding a sort of micro currency, we have considered the exact system you explained, using likes as a sort of currency. It would be interesting to also reward players who complete other players dungeons with this currency too! It will require some tests and we'll see how the community react to these new systems.

Hope this explains just a little more of the thought process and I hope you enjoy the latest update!

@Winthrop

So we need to have a good think about the decay system. I'll raise it with the rest of the team. This is a greater discussion that is above me

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_C View Post
    @Winthrop

So we need to have a good think about the decay system. I'll raise it with the rest of the team. This is a greater discussion that is above me
    Some thoughts to throw your way:

1: If I'm going to be gone for a week I have to build everything with stone or lose all the wood portions in that time. This is constricting for those who want to decorate with wood. To that end it would be nice to be able to find 'durable wood' - maybe 1:10 trees produces 'durable wood' that lasts 2X the regular decay rate OR trees in areas with more vicious mobs have the 'durable wood' (in all colors). I'd hate to see the decay rate simply decreased as this idea is a way to create more variety in the game.

2: In discussions in game last night pretty much everyone was in agreement that a torch or chest (or furniture) should not place a claim. People are concerned about losing the ability to build in areas where some noob scattered torches all over the place and then left to go live on the other side of the map. Frankly, I think the decay rate on all torches not affixed to a wall/ceiling should be two days with no reset. (I'm concerned that torches spread throughout a cave will cause the cave to not 'reset' with new resources. - So someone runs through there once, sprinkles torches, and then the cave is 'locked' with a claim they'll never revisit). I have a nice cave under my base - it would be nice to be able to run through it scattering torches hither and yon and know that 3 days later I can go back to a reset cave system.

Quote Originally Posted by Winthrop View Post

1: If I'm going to be gone for a week I have to build everything with stone or lose all the wood portions in that time. This is constricting for those who want to decorate with wood. To that end it would be nice to be able to find 'durable wood' - maybe 1:10 trees produces 'durable wood' that lasts 2X the regular decay rate OR trees in areas with more vicious mobs have the 'durable wood' (in all colors). I'd hate to see the decay rate simply decreased as this idea is a way to create more variety in the game.

2: In discussions in game last night pretty much everyone was in agreement that a torch or chest (or furniture) should not place a claim. People are concerned about losing the ability to build in areas where some noob scattered torches all over the place and then left to go live on the other side of the map. Frankly, I think the decay rate on all torches not affixed to a wall/ceiling should be two days with no reset. (I'm concerned that torches spread throughout a cave will cause the cave to not 'reset' with new resources. - So someone runs through there once, sprinkles torches, and then the cave is 'locked' with a claim they'll never revisit). I have a nice cave under my base - it would be nice to be able to run through it scattering torches hither and yon and know that 3 days later I can go back to a reset cave system.
    From experience, torches don't seem to prevent new ore generation. They also don't create a new claim, same as chests; I'm pretty sure you need foundations to start that, and of course structures extending from foundations. Torches only prevent you from building directly on them.

Thanks for sharing this post with us. I like the direction you guys want to take the game, I just hope existing game design won't get radically changed too much along the way. Specifically with one of the unmentioned changes in today's update, the addition of random sparks and a strobe-light effect while mining. In my opinion, this gets very jarring when you're in a dark cave trying to mine something, like you're sitting in a dark room and having someone turn the lights on and off a few times a second every time you click to mine. I know you guys are still pushing out visual improvements like monsters wielding weapons and an updated magic essence design that also came with the update, and those do look pretty good. Strobe lights while mining, not so much personally.

Basically, it would be great if we could have settings to toggle these changes on and off, being able to choose between original and "updated" design when it comes to changes like the mining visual effect going forward.

About the decay, I still think large structures should decay slower. Any newly placed item and any structure which had something added gets an additional grace period so your first hut stays a week no matter how small it is after building (or making last change), anything else needs a log in depending on size, eight times the size= double decay timer. I wrote the details here: http://cardlifegame.com/forums/showt...decay-mechanic

Regarding the other tools, possible currency etc, I really like it so far. Only slight issue I see is that a great statue doesn’t need a door and nobody wants to see the inside of a statue and enter it. Even the most basic and ugliest bridge across a chasm, with a door in the middle, will get lots of visits however.

Quote Originally Posted by Winthrop View Post
    Too bad you didn't ask me that. I am in complete disagreement with this. I too have had way too many other newbie players want to come into an area I've claimed and start building. They often will do so in my harvesting area, and start placing building parts wherever I have a big enough gap in torches. This of course prevents the forest from coming back and driving me away from my hard earned built-up, and already claimed, area. If anything, torches need to place and even bigger area of claim around them to help prevent such intrusions.

Having them disappear in a week without logging in is fine by me too. It's long enough that I can always come back and log in. Even if only for a few seconds to reset that timer. Yet it is also a short enough time that like you said will reset an area. And fyi, I can confirm that torches do not prevent ore (or plants) from coming back.