Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the metals?

Where are all the metals?

The title says it all. I've poked around about half the map and gone down to the heavy stone level. Iron is very rare, gold is almost non-existent, and I have yet to see tungsten.

I know some areas are not quite this bad, but is this what you wanted, Devs?

I have been seeing the same problem on Server 4. When I first started playing CardLife in April we had good amounts of all ore to mine. Now I have been mining for days and still don't have enough or copper or iron to make armor.

Please turn the rates up.

TLDR: I know all the ores exist in large quantity as I have seen it. They're just incredibly far down and the time and resources required to reach them and get back to the surface with them is currently rather onerous. Particularly for those playing solo due to the rate of monster spawning.

I also recall ores being way more common back in April. From what I've seen recently, if you dig down through the heavy stone level about as far as you have to dig to reach the heavy stone level, there are ore veins of all types everywhere. Even the ores you can't currently use to make anything. But the preparation for getting down there, then surviving, mining, and getting back alive is a significant time and resource investment that shouldn't necessarily be required to have enough metal to build anything of significance.

I do like the challenge and very much enjoy the exploration aspects of finding ores but some aspects of it, like the very rapid monster respawn, are simply frustrating. Add to that the eventual quakes that will happen to reset the terrain. I think that's a great game element, but with the current ore situation it may also turn out to be more frustrating than fun.

Part of the issue may be playing solo. It just takes a lot more time to accomplish things when playing alone and the devs may have had more group oriented play in mind when they set things up. The thing is, everyone I've talked to in chat is playing solo. I suspect the vast majority of people playing the game are doing so in a solo capacity. Considering the lack of grouping tools or sharing of chests and crafting stations right now, even if you're playing with others you're kind of playing solo anyway. But setting up the numbers to where solo players aren't significantly hindered without also making things too easy for non-solo players can be a delicate affair.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_of_Paper View Post
    TLDR: I know all the ores exist in large quantity as I have seen it. They're just incredibly far down and the time and resources required to reach them and get back to the surface with them is currently rather onerous. Particularly for those playing solo due to the rate of monster spawning.

I also recall ores being way more common back in April. From what I've seen recently, if you dig down through the heavy stone level about as far as you have to dig to reach the heavy stone level, there are ore veins of all types everywhere. Even the ores you can't currently use to make anything. But the preparation for getting down there, then surviving, mining, and getting back alive is a significant time and resource investment that shouldn't necessarily be required to have enough metal to build anything of significance.

I do like the challenge and very much enjoy the exploration aspects of finding ores but some aspects of it, like the very rapid monster respawn, are simply frustrating. Add to that the eventual quakes that will happen to reset the terrain. I think that's a great game element, but with the current ore situation it may also turn out to be more frustrating than fun.

Part of the issue may be playing solo. It just takes a lot more time to accomplish things when playing alone and the devs may have had more group oriented play in mind when they set things up. The thing is, everyone I've talked to in chat is playing solo. I suspect the vast majority of people playing the game are doing so in a solo capacity. Considering the lack of grouping tools or sharing of chests and crafting stations right now, even if you're playing with others you're kind of playing solo anyway. But setting up the numbers to where solo players aren't significantly hindered without also making things too easy for non-solo players can be a delicate affair.
    * "if you dig down through the heavy stone level..."

I'm already through that level, and although I see cobalt quite a bit, I have yet to see anything else.

* "to have enough metal to build anything of significance"

Precisely. I keep having headslapping moments where people say that we should just build our castles out of copper, iron, or higher metals. I have to wonder how in the world I am supposed to have time to do that when after three days of playing, I have a grand total of 70 bars of copper, 20 bars of iron, and 1 bar of gold. I'm no slouch or beginner. I know exactly what I'm looking for and where it should be found. And still: nothing.

* "with the current ore situation [quakes] may also turn out to be more frustrating than fun."

Definitely. Add to that the current common problem that you sometimes need to hack stone away 3 times before it finally goes away, and the already repetitious mining become unbearable, especially when trying to hack at heavy stone with nothing but a stone pick.

* "the devs may have had more group oriented play in mind when they set things up."

The repeated answer from the devs has been that they support alone play just as much as team play. Throughout the pre-alpha, this was the case. Right now, I'm feeling pretty frustrated and hoping that the ores will pop up at some point. After three mines in three different parts of the map, I can definitely say that the problem is not completely regional. Some people on the east coast have reported some better results, but that is one part I have not yet looked at personally.

I hope that this does not come off as just some moaning and complaining. I truly believe that the devs might have accidentally wiped out the ore production in the areas between the upper caves and the heavy stone. I hope they take a look at it.

No worries, don't think you're moaning or complaining at all.

I'm currently located in the top middle of E3, on a plateau most of the way up a mountain. Like you, I just wasn't having any luck finding metal. Eventually I started finding a few concentrations of iron, then gold once I was already pretty deep through the Heavy Stone layer. But until I got down into the Dense Stone layer I was still only finding trace amounts of tungsten and cobalt. Also like you, I still wasn't finding enough metal for most of this time to use anything other than stone picks for general digging. Near the bottom of the Heavy stone layer I started finding a lot of gold. Which is good because there was no way I was going to dig through Dense Stone with stone picks. So I got to dig into the Dense Stone with a gold drill at least.

In the Dense Stone layer every metal seems to be pretty abundant, and I'm often finding multiple ore types in one vein together. Plus most of the metals we can't use yet are down there as well. But I still can't see me erecting buildings made out of metal. Even though I've found a metal-rich environment, mining a vein still gives a pretty paltry amount of ore for the work involved. I think the last cobalt vein I mined gave me four ore, and for every vein I mine I have to fight off multiple enemies.

I've also played for a ridiculous number of hours since the Steam release. Some of that time was spent exploring the island, but the bulk of it has been spent underground or gathering food and materials to go underground. So, even taking into account the learning curve due to the changes since I played last, and the apparently new ore distribution, I find the current time and effort required for finding and mining ore to be excessive. At least for a solo player.

If I had the knowledge I do now when I started playing again I would have simply dug a stairwell shaft strait down to the Dense Stone layer right after building a small shack. Would have saved me a few days faffing about trying to find ore where there apparently wasn't much to be found.
    Last edited by Jack_of_Paper; 10-14-2018 at 09:11 AM.

In the spirit of fairness, here is an update.

As Jack_of_Paper says, once you get to the heavy stone, metals start showing up. It's mostly gold, strangely enough, but at least that's something. As I get closer to the dense stone, I am starting to see other metals. So this seems to be true as well. It's too bad that I am getting swamped by spiders, savages, and sentinels. So far, I've survived, but that is only by invoking the holy name of Bobby McWuffles.

Something is borked in the system. The area between the surface and heavy stone is a wasteland. Kids, don't bother looking for anything but crystals in that part.

The distribution of metals is also borked, although this may be related to the first borkage. Copper is fairly plentiful once at the heavy stone, followed by gold. Iron is still a rare thing. Near the dense stone, I get small patches of tungsten. Strangely enough, after the first couple of patches of cobalt, I have not seen any more.

Devs, is this what you wanted or have we uncovered a bug?

Your experience with the distribution of metals pretty much matches mine. Gold is basically all over the place everywhere once you reach a certain depth, and I'm looking pretty pimp in my gold armor right now. I'm finding just enough cobalt to keep building cobalt scimitars when the previous one breaks, but that's about it. I'm finding much more tungsten than cobalt, but that's not saying much. I'm finding quite a bit of iron now, I'm just not bothering to mine it or copper because there's so much gold around. As far as I can tell, metal distribution is heavily weighted towards gold.

I've made it down into the Core Stone layer but until we get access to forging tools with the better metals it's just not worth the time it takes to dig through it right now, even with a cobalt drill.

Oooh Core Stone...I'm not sure I've ever mined that.

When I logged in today, I saw copper deposits toward the surface levels that thought i walked passed. Plus, on some entry tunnels I had already dug out had some ore veins right there. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss those on my way through. May be something with the update?

Quote Originally Posted by MalakHan View Post
    When I logged in today, I saw copper deposits toward the surface levels that thought i walked passed. Plus, on some entry tunnels I had already dug out had some ore veins right there. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss those on my way through. May be something with the update?
    The recent update in the last 24 hours has changed the location and possibly the frequency of ores (for the second time since the Steam release). When I logged off yesterday, I had decided to come back today to get several spots of cobalt but today they were all gone. Other ores also changed to new locations.

For all I know, this is an improved ore distribution but it makes me...uneasy...to be surprised with such a significant world change. Dev team, couldn't you have warned us and explained why this was being done? Previously, the ore locations had been stable even through total server wipes; now we've had two re-distributions in less than two weeks. This really negates the meaningfulness of site selection and mine construction. Should we be expecting this again soon as part of "alpha impermanence"? Are any forests going to be changed from one tree to another, or are some mountains slated for relocation?