Thread: Feedback of what I don't enjoy in the game so far

Feedback of what I don't enjoy in the game so far

I wanted to make a quick list for the devs to share what I didn't enjoy.

1. No PVE server.

2. Offline Mode isn't actually offline.

3. My buildings in offline mode only last 7 days, I'd rather them be permanent because I sometimes take long breaks from games.

4. Lack of enemy AI.

5. Damage isn't saved when harvesting, so if I hit a tree 3-4 times but misclick, I have it again hit it 3-4 times. I'd rather hit the tree and see a permanent mark on it. For example, if a tree takes 4 hits, and I hit it 1 time and wait 3 seconds, it should only take 3 more hits still.

6. Tools can't be used on all materials. Sure, it makes no sense to hit dirt with a sickle, but I'd rather it did very little damage than do nothing and take me out of the game experience with a "WRONG TOOL" alert. Plenty of other survival games don't hard-lock tool usage to each resource.

7. Building is buggy for me. I can't snap together foundation pieces or stairs as easily as I can in other survival games.

8. Not being able to hold a torch and a pickaxe at the same time while in caves is tedious.

9. Difficult to climb up many steep hills, even when jumping is frustrating.

10. Move speed is very slow.

11. Sprinting drains stamina very quickly in early game. I can't stand games that make me constantly eat or drink.

12. Load times are long.

13. No graphics options.

14. I'm also just waiting for more content like actual cooking, easier and more intuitive ways to edit placed blocks, more customization, etc.

Anyway, I think there's a good foundation for the game right now which is why I left a positive review, but these things I've listed make the game tedious for me and unenjoyable, so I won't be playing anymore.

Regarding 11. I really can't stand survival games that feign "difficulty" or a sense of "survival" by just ratcheting up the required amount of food and drink. Making me constantly harvest berries or food to simulate survival is in my opinion a poor way to do things. I'd rather food drop rarely, but last longer, than constantly feel the need to harvest. Use weather, or disease, and enemies to simulate survival conditions instead of this constant, "Oh I'm out of stamina... again... time to spam the berry and meat icon."

I would encourage the developers to not try and reinvent the wheel too much. There's no shortage of survival games. You'll be compared to them, if you can't match what they offer, you'll be criticized.
    Last edited by UPS#8277; 10-10-2018 at 06:57 PM.

For the duration of your buildings, this depends on their material and makes sense that they disappear based on that mechanic. They could make things last longer but, this will change the value of those materials, possibly for the worse(with 'worse' being relative to their vision of the game).
    I've also found snapping to have it's.... intricacies.
    The 'wrong tool' alert is a good thing in my opinion, preventing you from over-clicking and damaging your tool on the object underneath your harvested material. As well, it makes it obvious for new players how to harvest.
    Have you ever swung a pickaxe with one hand? Place a torch instead
    Climbing can be annoying but, this is only when I'm climbing things that appear unrealistic to climb in my opinion.
    Having to eat was the first thing that bothered me with this game but, I did not find it actually taking from the experience since I respawned nearby and always retrieved my belongings. And after I had a house I never seemed to be short of food. While I disagree on your idea to replace this with different variables, I wouldn't be too surprised if they make your hunger meter drain slower, or allow something to buff you so that it drains slower.
    Initial load is long.
    No graphics settings doesn't matter to me, it's early access and it runs surprisingly well.
    I as well can't wait to see what content comes, I plan to watch the modding scene and contribute where possible for this community

Hi!

Hoping to answer some! questions:

1. No PVE server.
    We're working on that. You can create your own server and set up a password

2. Offline Mode isn't actually offline.
    We are currently investigating an actual offline single player mode. More info on this soon!

3. My buildings in offline mode only last 7 days, I'd rather them be permanent because I sometimes take long breaks from games.
    Your buildings on official servers will only last a minimum of seven days. If you build it out of stronger materials then it will remainin the world for a longer period of time. Additionally, this decay system is ONLY active on our official dedicated servers and is not on any unofficial servers or in single player.

4. Lack of enemy AI.
    Enemy AI is being improved upon. Team are already working towards this.

5. Damage isn't saved when harvesting, so if I hit a tree 3-4 times but misclick, I have it again hit it 3-4 times. I'd rather hit the tree and see a permanent mark on it. For example, if a tree takes 4 hits, and I hit it 1 time and wait 3 seconds, it should only take 3 more hits still.
    i've added the following note to the team and see what they think: "Suggest a way for harvesting to be saved for a couple of seconds. This means that anyone repeatedly clicking to harvest will still be able to harvest instead of seeing progress reset every time they let go of the mouse button"

6. Tools can't be used on all materials. Sure, it makes no sense to hit dirt with a sickle, but I'd rather it did very little damage than do nothing and take me out of the game experience with a "WRONG TOOL" alert. Plenty of other survival games don't hard-lock tool usage to each resource.
    I've made a note of this. Minecraft do a system which destroys the resource if you use the wrong item on higher tiered objects like gold... I'll mention it to the team and see what they think

7. Building is buggy for me. I can't snap together foundation pieces or stairs as easily as I can in other survival games.
    Agreed, we are working on it.

8. Not being able to hold a torch and a pickaxe at the same time while in caves is tedious.
    Workign towards some dual wielding in the future. Understand what you mean and something we are looking at

9. Difficult to climb up many steep hills, even when jumping is frustrating.
    So at the moment, jumping maintains the momentum of your direction at the exact time you hit the jump button. I'm not a fan of this myself and I've made a note to the team.

10. Move speed is very slow.
    I will need to have more info from other players before I can make a comment on this. But thanks for raising it.

11. Sprinting drains stamina very quickly in early game. I can't stand games that make me constantly eat or drink.
    We have just released an update which addresses this. check it out

12. Load times are long.
    The initial load is a bit long, but there should be no other loading screens in game. This may improve in the future.

13. No graphics options.
    Understood! We've had this request from several players.

14. I'm also just waiting for more content like actual cooking, easier and more intuitive ways to edit placed blocks, more customization, etc.
    This will come in time

Hope this answers your questions

I saw some of the Steam Update news, it's great you guys are closely communicating with the community.

Thanks UPS, we're trying. It's taking some time for us to investigate these issues and address them but we want to tell you what we're doing at every step.

We appreciate the dialogue!