Thread: Armor Repair?

Armor Repair?

Is there going to be a way to Repair Armor and weapons soon?

I'd expect that when you repair it takes less than rebuilding a new set piece.

For example instead of gloves costing 11 iron to build, you would have to spend 8 iron to repair.
    or 4 iron if they are at 50% broken.

Thing is that I already spend a LOT of time digging.
    And since now I need multiple types of Picks for digging, I have to make sure that I get enough ore every day to replace the picks I use up.

Currently I mine mostly with Stone Pick, then swap to Copper if I find Iron, but then also carry an Iron pick just in case I hit Gold.
    I dig a LOT.
    Barely have 2 squares of the map uncovered, but dig-dig-dug I gots to replace the ores!!

Agreed. I see a bit of a problem coming our way soon. All these things are ore sinks. Some degree of this is needed to make sure that we are not literally swimming in ores after some time has passed. I thought making the armor permanent while the tools and weapons degraded was a pretty decent compromise here. Now, the ore is going away and sooner or later, it's going to get pretty tough to find *any* new ore. There are already a ton of sinks in the game; I do not think we need more.

I would hope that repairs would be even less expensive than you are suggesting. Perhaps 50% of the original cost adjusted for how busted the item is.

An additional option would be to make it so when attacked, only 1 of the 4 available armor items is damaged instead of all being damaged. this would roughly give 4x the durability of current. I think the current durability for chest and helm is fine, but the arms and legs have so much less.. I'm currently running around with nekid arms and legs (DON"T LOOK you!!) due to this. I don't know if damage reduction is on a bell curve or straight line, but the potential 800-ish armor from cobalt is only roughly 9% more reduction. I can wear stone and get around 3%. 6% difference isn't really worth the cobalt cost.

Blessing items and repairing is being worked on.

You will be able to repair items with age specific repair kits and this will be cheaper than crafting them again.

Blessing items will also stop your new best enchanted items from being destroyed and being dropped on death - but you will need a creature soul.

Also the balance is something I am constantly looking for feedback so I will be tweaking it a lot as we go forward - armor durability being one of those.

Thanks for the feedback.

My biggest worry is that as the numbers of players ramps up, the amount of usable ore will simply be insufficient. I'm curious how you are going to solve this deceptively difficult problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Edelric View Post
    Is there going to be a way to Repair Armor and weapons soon?

I'd expect that when you repair it takes less than rebuilding a new set piece.

For example instead of gloves costing 11 iron to build, you would have to spend 8 iron to repair.
    or 4 iron if they are at 50% broken.

Thing is that I already spend a LOT of time digging.
    And since now I need multiple types of Picks for digging, I have to make sure that I get enough ore every day to replace the picks I use up.

Currently I mine mostly with Stone Pick, then swap to Copper if I find Iron, but then also carry an Iron pick just in case I hit Gold.
    I dig a LOT.
    Barely have 2 squares of the map uncovered, but dig-dig-dug I gots to replace the ores!!
    I guess Edelric is right. I slowly get the bad feeling that we are all mutate to Gollums. DIG for GOLD DIG, DIG, DIG...
    Sure it should not be too easy to get everything, but I think the main issue of the game should not be harvesting. Build, explore, create- This could be the core of the game.

Why not give the game a bit more "quest like" elements. Like explore ancient ruins (where you can find e.g. mechanics). Or remember my idea of the enchanted (bean-) seeds, to reach a area above the clouds.
    You choose to build your world with card board- a material kids play with- so why not let crazy things happen, which happen in childs games. Not like the grown up people, just fight, kill and grab, what ever you can get...